Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cooking Thursday 2/8/2012



I'm linking this post up with Sandra @ Diary of a SAHM's Cooking Thursday


Every Saturday morning my eldest daughter, Sweetpea who is 15, and I try out a new recipe for brunch.  Once in awhile we will do dinner on Friday night instead, but so far Saturday mornings seem to work best for both of us.

Today we tried a Martha Stewart recipe.  While I am DEFINITELY not in Martha's league, I beg to excuse myself as I found this recipe via one of my favorite webistes, Pinterest.  If you have not yet tried Pinterest, you absolutely MUST.  It is addictive and fun!  And if you'd like, you can follow me HERE. 

Anyway - Sweetpea and I made these breakfast cups.  I will show you both Martha's and mine for comparison's sake - but I guarantee you - they tasted really good! 

These would be great to make ahead for quick breakfasts as they microwave well. 

Here is Martha's version:




And here is mine: (DON'T JUDGE!  LOL)





Here is the recipe from Martha's site:


Ingredients



3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted


8 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread


6 slices bacon


6 large eggs


Coarse salt and ground pepper


Directions


1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups. With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/4-inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps. Brush bread with remaining butter.


2.In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven.) Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.


Cook's Note


Standard muffin pans come in 6- or 12-cup size; if baking 6 items in a 12-cup pan, leave empty space in between. Nonstick pans are nice but not essential. Beware of very thin pans, which often lead to burning. Place pans on a baking sheet to make them easier to get in and out of the oven.


Overall on a scale of 0-10, I would rate these an 8.  I will definitely make them again, maybe substituting breakfast sausage or ham for the bacon and adding some scallions to mine.

Have a blessed day!!

Sherry



2 comments:

  1. Looks very yummy!! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good - I'm sure my husband would like them.
    I love Pinterest and I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete